Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A Break In My "Crazy, Hectic Life"

As most of you can imagine. My head is spinning at this point. A 13-month-old, husband, two almost ex-roomates, leaving a rental home, working on purchasing a new home, Disney World, colds, flus, ear infections, work, and in 2 weeks, school thrown in to the mix. I guess you could say I have a pretty hectic life at the moment. Obviously, with our son over the age of one -  barely - I guess you could say we have been talking about baby #2. What would this mean for us? For Peanut? There are lots of things bringing a new baby in means; financially, emotionally, and physically. I swear, I have a point here. I want to share an experience with you all I had tonight at work, that deeply touched my heart.

If you all recall, I thought Liam could have autism. Obviously, he still could  because it is one of those things that you can never know for sure, but the signs of it have deeply decreased over the last month and a half. With that weighing on my heart, and the fact that it is Autism awareness month, autism has really been on my mind, and other types of special needs.

A boy came in today with his dad and sister. He looked probably four or five years old. His dad was carrying him. I was on expo tonight, meaning, I was not taking orders, but was still at the front counter. The boy started yelling. The old, pre-mom, Kelsey would have been annoyed. I've had an ear infection for three days now, and even Liam's whiny cries are almost enough to send me to the corner crying. Anyways, the mom Kelsey thought, "been there, dealt with that". It wasn't long before I realized that there was something different special about this boy. His dad set him in the high chair, and gathered their things. The boy was yelling. All my associates quickly whipped their heads to see the noise. I just kept walking to the table like nothing was happening. The dad asked me to set the food on the other end away from the boy. I did as I was asked and started to walk away. As I was walking away, I heard the dad ask his daughter, probably around 6 or 7, to grab some forks. I asked him how many, and grabbed them for him. I know how hard it is to get one to sit down to eat, let alone two. You could tell he was grateful.    I walked back up, and continued on with my job. The family sat out in the dining room, eating, and watching videos on their phone. The boy would start yelling, and again, everyone would stare. This time, instead of staring in their direction, I looked around the restaurant. Everyone was staring at the boy and his family. Normally, I would understand, but this time I felt rage and sympathy for this dad and his daughter  family. When we go out, Liam is always getting looks, but they are ones filled with love and joy, not as if he was a nuisance. This family wants nothing more than to be treated like every other "normal" family.

I don't know why I felt such a close bond with this family, but I just started thinking, what if that were us? What if we brought in a new baby, and that baby had special needs. Could I handle it? Could I stay sain? I don't really know the whole reason for this post. I guess it is one of those true, aha moments we all face in life. I didn't feel bad for the family or feel like, whew, must be tough for you. He was just a dad doing what he was put on earth to do, take care of and love his son. If we didn't look at special needs as a hassle, but as a blessing, the world would be such a nicer place to live in. Could I do it if it were us? It would be tougher than it is now, but yes. I love my son more than anything on this earth. If God called me to be a mom to a child of special needs, instead of thinking, "why me", I would be honored and blessed that he trusts me enough to take care of his special blessing!

So all in all, even though my life is "hectic" right now, I wouldn't change it for anything, because I know that God wouldn't ever give me more than I could handle. Good night, and I'll catch up with ya'll soon! =)

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment